The CoE was founded in 2012 by Professor Dermot O’Hare. We are a group of Chemists with a wide range of research interests spanning the breadth of chemistry from energy utilisation and Carbon Net Zero, to the chemical Circular Economy and the future of plastics and polymers.
The SCG-Oxford Centre of Excellence for Chemistry was the 2019 winner of the prestigious Industry-Academia Collaboration Award from the Royal Society of Chemistry, for creating a unique and long-standing collaboration bringing benefits to chemical science.
Information on our active projects can be found in the Research and our associated Professors sections.
- Since its establishment in 2012, the CoE has been associated with over 20 Chemistry Professors, over 30 Post Doctoral Research Assistants and many PhD students and 2 administrators.
- So far over 50 projects have been funded amounting to over £20 million.
- Since 2011, CoE projects have resulted in over 40 publications in international peer reviewed journals.
- In 2015/16, 10% of all the new patent filings arising from the University of Oxford originated from the CoE.
- In 2015, Prof. Dermot O’Hare was awarded an MPLS Impact Acceleration Account Secondment Fund Award to spend a sabbatical year with SCG Chemicals in Bangkok, Thailand.
- In 2016, Prof. Dermot O’Hare was awarded a Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division Impact Award in recognition of the creation of the SCG-Oxford Centre of Excellence in Chemistry.
- Prof Dermot O’Hare and SCG's presentation to HRH Princess Sirindhorn at the British Embassy, Bangkok in 2016.
- In March 2017 the first pilot plant for nanomaterial synthesis was opened as a joint collaboration between SCG, University of Oxford and Beijing University of Chemical Technology.
- The SCG-Oxford Centre of Excellence for Chemistry was named 2019 winner of the prestigious Industry-Academia Collaboration Award from the Royal Society of Chemistry
- The first product launch from a discovery made in Oxford at the CoE is imminent.